24 June, 2005
|I filled the crankcase with petroleum-based
10W-30 oil, and filled the transaxle with synthetic 75w-90 gear
|I reconnected the battery and put it on the
charger overnight. In the meantime, I needed to connect my laptop to the
TEC≥ and upgrade the firmware and install the baseline program to start
Unfortunately, I had problems communicating with the TEC3. After trying different cables (straight-thru and null modem) and different communication parameters, Scott Schulz recommended dropping the baud rate all the way down to 9600bps. Electromotive specifies 38400, and I had already tried 19200 unsuccessfully, but 9600 and a straight-thru serial cable did the trick.
|Once I'd gotten the TEC3 prepared, I
adjusted my fuel pressure regulator to 43.5 PSI.
|I checked the AVCR configuration and was
surprised to see that my settings from four years earlier were still in
place! I dialed the boost setting down to .5 bar for the break-in period.
|I cranked her over and managed to get her to
run, but it felt like it was running on only two cylinders. I shut it off
and checked out the obvious things like plug wires, etc. In the end, I
simply re-created the base map program and uploaded it to the TEC3. Voila!
She started right up and ran great, even idling fine.
|The last thing I wanted to do was let the
new motor sit there idling, so I edged out of the garage and took her
around the block. The alternator belt was screaming (just a bit too
tight!), but it seemed to run ok. The clutch was very light.
|Once around the block and back into the
garage. To my dismay, I noticed a steady trail of oil drops on the
pavement. Not a good sign. I had already replaced the oil pan, so I hoped
it was nothing but the pan gasket. From the top, I couldn't see any sign
of a leak, and there was no oil spray on the motor.
I decided to let it cool down and check for leaks later.